If you travel any distance on Illinois or Missouri highways, you know you will likely encounter a big rig. In fact, you may find yourself wedged between several of them as you make your way to your destination. This is not always a comfortable situation because you can’t be certain whether the driver of the truck sees you or is in the appropriate condition to safely operate the truck to avoid hitting you.
Nevertheless, you may be among the many drivers of passenger-size vehicles who suffer serious or even life-changing injuries in an accident with a tractor-trailer or other large commercial vehicle. You now have medical bills to pay. Perhaps you are unable to work temporarily, or your injuries have left you disabled. You want justice, and you may want compensation. However, where do you even begin to pursue these things?
What you are up against
The problem with truck accident cases is that they can quickly become complicated. It is not as easy as dealing with the driver of another passenger vehicle whose auto insurance will hopefully cover the claim. In fact, you will likely have many complex issues to deal with as you work to obtain the compensation you deserve. For example:
- Your injuries may be considerably more severe just because of the size and weight of the vehicle involved.
- The driver of the truck may not be the owner of the truck, and you may have to track down the individual or company that owns the truck.
- Neither the driver nor the truck owner may be the same ones who own the cargo the truck was hauling, so you may have another entity to deal with.
- With numerous entities involved, you may also have to handle red tape from each of their individual insurers, who will all likely work hard to minimize their payout to you.
- You will have to understand state and federal regulations that govern truckers, such as the maximum allowable hours behind the wheel and other factors that may have contributed to the crash.
- The data stored in the truck’s black box is critical evidence that you will have to compare to other evidence.
Because of the levels of complication you will be facing as you seek to claim the compensation you need and deserve, it is wise to reach out to a legal professional who has extensive experience fighting the tactics of insurance companies and a history of success helping victims of complex personal injury cases.